Home Occupation Permit
Certain home businesses are permitted by the City to be carried on by the inhabitant of a dwelling. The permitted business must be incidental and secondary to the use of the structure for living purposes. The business cannot change the character or adversely affect the uses permitted in the zone and vicinity.Before you develop a plan to operate a business out of your home there are a few things you should know. First, only certain types of businesses are permitted to operate out of your home. Secondly, if the business type is allowed, you will need to apply for a Home Occupation Permit, and lastly, you will need to obtain a business license.

In order to receive a Home Occupation Permit, the proposed business must be incidental and secondary to the use of the structure for living purposes. In addition, the business cannot change the character or adversely affect the uses permitted in the zone and vicinity. Lastly, if you do not own your residence or if you own a condominium, the landlord or condominium association officer, which ever applies, will need to sign the Home Occupation Permit application before it will be processed by the City.

Home Occupations Permitted
The following home businesses may be permitted provided they do not involve outside storage of materials, equipment, or products and would not prevent the parking of vehicles in the garage:

  • Office use, such as contracting and consulting, when the residence is used for the sole purpose of receiving mail, telephone calls and bookkeeping.
  • Crafts and hobby uses, such as photography, artwork, and home crafts provided products and/or services are not offered for sale on site.
  • Services, such as gardening, janitorial, typing, day care, computer and telecommunication networking.
  • Off-premise sales and vending, such as import/export, product distributing, and swap meet vendors.

Home Occupations Prohibited
The following shall be expressly prohibited as home occupations:

  • Real estate, insurance, law and medical offices, or any other office that serves clients on premises.
  • Beauty shops, massage parlors, private clubs, dance studios and dating services.
  • Repair or construction of motor vehicles and appliances, machine shops and cabinet shops.
  • On-premise sales and vending.
  • Any business which is deemed to be incompatible with the surrounding land uses and which may adversely affect the health, safety and general welfare of the neighborhood in which it is located.

Filing an Application for a Permit

  1. When you are ready to apply for a business license and home occupation permit, the necessary forms are provided below or you can visit the Community Development Department located in City Hall, Room 101, at 1700 W. 162nd Street, Gardena. If you have questions and want to personally speak with a staff member, the Customer Service Counter Hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., on Fridays or you may call (310) 217-6191.
  2. Complete the Home Occupation Permit application form. If the applicant is not the owner of the property, the property owner or his/her representative will need to sign the permit application agreeing to the applicant conducting the business at the subject location. If the location is a condominium, an officer of the condominium association shall sign the application AND supply the applicant with a signed and dated letter stating approval/consent of the proposed business and that it is not in conflict with the condominium’s adopted CC & R’s.
  3. File the completed permit application form with the Community Development Department IN PERSON and pay a non-refundable fee of $73.00 to defray the processing costs.
  4. The Home Occupation Permit is NOT VALID until a Business License has been issued by the City. For additional information concerning the business licensing process, click here.