A resident who wants to hold a garage or yard sale in the City must obtain a permit prior to the event. No more than four garage sales may be conducted upon the same property within a calendar year.
Any person who wants to hold a garage or yard sale must apply IN PERSON to obtain a permit prior to the event. The non-refundable application fee of $30.00 is payable by check, cash, or credit card. Limitations are as follows:
- No more than four garage/yard sales may be conducted by any person upon the same property within the same calendar year.
- The permittee must be the resident of the property on which the garage/yard sale is to take place.
- Garage/yard sales shall only be held between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. and shall not exceed two consecutive days.
- No person shall be entitled to receive payment in any form for allowing another person’s merchandise or belongings to be sold at his or her garage/yard sale.
- Except for hand-made gifts, the items to be sold shall consist almost exclusively of used merchandise and belongings.
- Garage/yard sales must be conducted within the garage, carport, front yard, back yard, or patio of the seller’s residence. No sale or display of items for sale shall be permitted in the public right of way.
The Garage/Yard Sale Permit application is provided below and is also available for pick up at the Permits and Licenses Office located in City Hall, Room 101, 1700 W. 162nd Street, Gardena, CA 90247. Business License staff may be contacted for additional information at (310) 217-9530 or click here to send us an email.