Typical Conditions of Approval:
If approved, a Block Party Permit will be issued in the applicant’s name. The applicant is responsible for compliance with any relevant Gardena Municipal Code regulations. The permit will be subject to the following standard conditions. Other conditions may also be required and will be noted in the permit approval letter.
1. Participants must be limited to citizens residing within the area of the street closure and a limited number of their invited guests. The Block Party may not be open to the general public.
2. Any donations collected for the party, must be done separately and cannot be collected the day of the Block Party. There can be no entrance fees charged. In addition, there can be no retail sales of any kind during the Block Party without a City of Gardena business license or permit allowing such sales.
3. The neighbors who will be affected by the street blocking must be notified of such in writing as early as possible and must be provided vehicular access in and out of their streets at all times. It is highly recommended that you provide flyers to each and every address in the affected area at least three days prior to the event.
4. The holder of the Block Party permit is responsible for complying with all relevant Gardena Municipal Code regulations or requirements set by the City regarding noise, amplified music or other state statutes regarding disruption of the public’s peace. Amplified music is prohibited.
5. Only barricades that are easily removable to allow quick and easy ingress and egress by public safety emergency vehicles will be permitted. If so requested, the City’s Public Works Department will provide the barricades as a special service. The approval letter will list where and when the barricades will be deposited and picked up. The Block Party applicant is responsible for the set up of the barricades and the return of the barricades to the designated pick-up point. A nominal fee may be charged for this service.
6. All tables, chairs, platforms, equipment, and any other probable obstacles (including automobiles, trucks, trailers, etc.) must be placed so that they do not impede emergency access to the street, any building, or fire hydrant in the area. You must also leave a minimum width of 12 feet open along the entire length of the street to enable the passage of emergency vehicles.
7. The sale of alcoholic beverages is prohibited. Consumption of alcoholic beverages shall not be done in public view and can take place only inside or in the backyards of private residences on the street.
8. No cooking appliances with open flames or barbecues are allowed under canopies.
9. The applicant is responsible for clean up and clearing all trash on the street, sidewalks, and all public areas. Clean up must be completed immediately following the conclusion of the permitted time of the Block Party.
10. The participants must also abide by any other conditions deemed necessary by the City Manager, Chief of Police, or County of Los Angeles Fire Chief. A violation of any of the stated conditions will be cause for termination of the Block Party. The Police Watch Commander has the discretion to revoke any Block Party permit on site if it is determined that the Block Party is causing a public nuisance. This may also impact the City’s approval of any future applications for a Block Party in the same location.
Following these guidelines will ensure that you and your neighbors have a safe, fun and uninterrupted Block Party. Your cooperation is appreciated.